Hi from Swindon... picking up next week.

New to the CUPRA Born Forums? Introduce yourself here
benjie

Post by benjie »

Hi everyone,

Been lurking a while; lots of great info here which I hope to contribute to soon. After ordering an Enyaq last year and finding out in April that it's not going to be built in the foreseeable future, I jumped ship and ordered a V2 Born with e-Boost. It'll be our 2nd EV, next to our Model 3 which has been getting steadily worse since we got it in 2020 (it's going back next May and I can't wait).

My Born has actually been at the dealer for nearly 2 weeks, but their communication has been so poor that I had no idea it was arriving; I had just rented a Renault Zoe from Onto, so I told them to hold on to it until that went back; no point in paying for 2 cars and using one. It's been hell driving around in that thing knowing there's something better just waiting for me a few miles away.

I'm really looking forward to picking it up; though a bit concerned about those steering wheel buttons and my sausage fingers!

benjie
58kWh V2 e-Boost in the cheap colour!

alex1337

Post by alex1337 »

Had my Born for 3 days and I've already gotten used to the steering wheel buttons. I suppose mileage may vary but I found complaints about the buttons in the reviews to be seriously overblown. The car is great to drive and good looking inside and out. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Born V2 Vapour Grey
Kernowboy

Post by Kernowboy »

I’m 2 months and 4000 miles in, and still struggling with the steering wheel buttons - although they are not really buttons, which is the problem. The ones underneath the screen are only a little better, in that you can touch them for a single input as well as swipe but they really should be lit at night. Other than that the app interface needs work, too many niggles.
But overall I really love the car, its brilliant; it’s surprised me a bit in just how good I think it is. So enjoy.
benjie

Post by benjie »

Thanks both, I'll have to see how I get on. I'm really looking forward to it. I had been a VAG driver for 15 years, until I ended up in a Tesla and a Volvo, so I'm really looking forward to getting back into the group as I love the design language; especially in this Born. It's easily the best looking EV on the market right now (IMO, obviously!)
Kernowboy

Post by Kernowboy »

What’s the issue with the model 3?
benjie

Post by benjie »

Kernowboy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:38 pm What’s the issue with the model 3?
in my experience:

- The auto wipers are useless - they go wild when the rain's light (and also when I wash the windscreen), but fail to start wiping fast enough when the rain gets heavy.
- The cruise control is dangerous; I was on a dual carriageway on Tuesday and it slammed the brakes on at *cough* 70mph for no reason at all, there was nothing around me. It's also happened with other traffic behind me, which is terrifying and rightly annoys others.
- With the new 'vision only' cruise control (they have turned off the radars) auto high beam is turned on and you can't turn it off; but it doesn't respond quickly enough.
- If you use cruise control on a non-motorway/dual carriageway (I do it in 30mph areas), and a lorry/van goes past, it will sometimes slam the brakes on just after it has passed you. It's just getting worse as time goes on/more updates arrive.
- A new interface last Christmas ruined the UI and they have spent the year adding bits of it back, but it's still less convenient than it was.
- No Android Auto and a poor music interface (doesn't display radio station/song info properly)

For the first year I loved the car, it was game changer I think, something other marques are trying to catch up on. I worked out that the Tesla lease cost & electricity vs. a VW Passat TDI lease & diesel cost were the same (in April 2020). The acceleration is insane; it make overtaking easy and safer. The tech can be amazing and the app is perfect (enter the CUPRA app!! :lol: )... but I am a bit fed up with the stuff above.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm sure you'll love the V2 E-Boost (we have 2, the extra 27ps is noticeable vs the 204ps unit I had in my ID3). All the "niggles" are very minor, and are mostly coming from people who are new to haptic buttons. After driving an ID3 for a year before swapping to teh Born, i'm more than used to them now. There's no doubt in my mind that I prefer a big toggle wheel type button from the Audis of old to navigate menus, but touch screen and haptic buttons is the way everyone is going, so we'd better get used to it.

The ID3 is a great car, just a little dull to look at - the Born fixes everything in the looks department, inside and out
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
benjie

Post by benjie »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:35 am I'm sure you'll love the V2 E-Boost (we have 2, the extra 27ps is noticeable vs the 204ps unit I had in my ID3). All the "niggles" are very minor, and are mostly coming from people who are new to haptic buttons. After driving an ID3 for a year before swapping to teh Born, i'm more than used to them now. There's no doubt in my mind that I prefer a big toggle wheel type button from the Audis of old to navigate menus, but touch screen and haptic buttons is the way everyone is going, so we'd better get used to it.

The ID3 is a great car, just a little dull to look at - the Born fixes everything in the looks department, inside and out
Thanks, I'm sure I will. I went in to sign my document today and managed to blag a set of rubber floor mats from them, so I'm pleased about that!
KekseKaempfer

Post by KekseKaempfer »

I'll give you a flash and a wave if I see you out and about. Got a V3 Rayleigh red here.
Rayleigh Red V3 e-Boost with extras
benjie

Post by benjie »

KekseKaempfer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:57 am I'll give you a flash and a wave if I see you out and about. Got a V3 Rayleigh red here.
I may have seen you... Were you heading up Thamesdown Drive on Wednesday? You would've seen a blur of blue/green on the other side of the road as I cruised past in the Zoe, nursing it with 2% battery.

I used to do the waving thing to other Model 3s (before they became like sh*t in a field), it was cool!