Dashcam Choices

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Brapsticle

Post by Brapsticle »

Hi all,
My v3 Born is due imminently and I have just been exploring dashcam options. I can see several people on the forums have opted for the Fitcam which does look tidy once setup properly but just wondered peoples opinions on say the fitcam vs nextbase cameras? I have never used a dashcam before, but seem like a good addition these days and don't look to problematic to hardwire.
V3 58Kw Aurora Blue, since Sept 22

pandamoanium

Post by pandamoanium »

Hi,

I hope you get your V3 ASAP.

I went with Fitcam just for the simplicity of the install mainly. I thought the specifications were good and ticked all the right boxes for me. The app is easy to use and great.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Glacial White
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

To make your choice, you need to decide why you want a dashcam.

Front facing only? It's of limited value, it might demonstrate mitigating circumstances as to why you hit the car in front, should that happen while driving.

Front and rear? Most people being rear ended aren't usually considered to be at fault, but having the footage can make teh claims process easier, especially if the other party are playing funny buggers. I had a Berlingo van rear end me while waiting to enter a roundabout at the top of a sliproad. The front end of the van fell to bits like a clown car. I took pictures and reported it to my insurance. The other party didn't report it, and maintained absolute silence with their insurer. My insurance company identified theirs and reported the incident to them. For ages, their insurance company tried to contact him, but as he refused to respond, they could not get his account of the story, and without that admission, they couldn't admit liability nor extract excess from him. Given the overwhelming evidence of my dashcam footage and photos identifying the policy holder as the driver of his car, they settled up "without prejudice" - they paid for everything without admitting liability. Things could've been a lot harder to prove without my dashcam footage, and being able to see the guy mouth "oh Shit!" as he realised collision was unavoidable was priceless

Front and rear with parking monitoring is better again. A guy scraped my unattended car in a supermarket car park, swinging into his space. Someone witnessed the incident and alerted me when I came back to the car. The guy who did the scraping was waiting n the car while his missus shopped. Me and the witness had a word with him about it. First he denied it, then he denied knowledge of doing it and pleaded ignorance. The witness said he saw the guy come out and survey the damage (my paint on his car,, so his car was in effect undamaged. I took pics of him and his car at the time, and kept the witness' details. He wanted to get the repair "off the books", but the bumper needed to come off for respray, which meant a recalibration of the first Gen ACC sensor and a 4 wheel alignment check before that. What would've been a £300 paint job was now looking like an £800 job. When I told him about all this in the quote, he accused me of trying to rip him off, and I said I was just giving him an idea that the work would be better going through the insurance for and his assessor would appriase. His response was to deny the inciden and deny even being in the car parkt. He must've looked like a complete idiot to his insurance company when my dashcam footage of the incident and my discussion with him about it, photos and witness statement,

My dashcam has confirmed non fault in 2 incidents - I wouldn't cheap out on it. Some for these cheapo dashcams will pick up a numberplate on the move, on a nice sunny day, but won't in overcast or night time conditions. I really wouldn't cheap out on a dashcam, and fitting an all singing and dancing version is not that daunting to fit for a competent DIYer.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Where's an SD to Micro SD adapter when you need one? Had a day in York yesterday, and on the way in, there seemed to be an impatient driver in front of me, twitching left and right to "see" aound a Morissons Truck in front of us. found out a short while later that he was either drunk, desperately tired, having a hypo event or extremely distracted as he drove straight into the roundabout, up on 2 wheels, scraping the drivers side of the car, before slamming back down. Then he was straight into the park and ride car park over the other side of the roundabout to pull up. I still haven't looked at the footage yet, because I can't find that adapter!

Brapsticle

Post by Brapsticle »

Thanks for the comments, very insightful!
V3 58Kw Aurora Blue, since Sept 22
pandamoanium

Post by pandamoanium »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:12 am Where's an SD to Micro SD adapter when you need one? Had a day in York yesterday, and on the way in, there seemed to be an impatient driver in front of me, twitching left and right to "see" aound a Morissons Truck in front of us. found out a short while later that he was either drunk, desperately tired, having a hypo event or extremely distracted as he drove straight into the roundabout, up on 2 wheels, scraping the drivers side of the car, before slamming back down. Then he was straight into the park and ride car park over the other side of the roundabout to pull up. I still haven't looked at the footage yet, because I can't find that adapter!
Are you not able to just connect to the dashcam with your phone and no need for the adapter?
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Glacial White
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

pandamoanium wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:02 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:12 am Where's an SD to Micro SD adapter when you need one? Had a day in York yesterday, and on the way in, there seemed to be an impatient driver in front of me, twitching left and right to "see" aound a Morissons Truck in front of us. found out a short while later that he was either drunk, desperately tired, having a hypo event or extremely distracted as he drove straight into the roundabout, up on 2 wheels, scraping the drivers side of the car, before slamming back down. Then he was straight into the park and ride car park over the other side of the roundabout to pull up. I still haven't looked at the footage yet, because I can't find that adapter!
Are you not able to just connect to the dashcam with your phone and no need for the adapter?
I can view it on my phone, via the desperately slow bluetooth connector, it would be quicker to remove the SD card and transfer via computer.