My Born small improvement’s

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

I decided to fit the focal tweeters today, after testing them before fitting I found it gave the sound some tone as it’s a bit bass heavy from the back.
As you can see they fit perfectly into the factory mounting points.

E5D9C03C-9AF2-428E-A733-3BB6AF35B5C3.jpeg

237596DA-78E8-4E17-8433-DCC9A441E03C.jpeg

8037FAE3-CB11-49E7-81AD-C29DB8C84073.jpeg

It completely changed the sound, very happy now with the outcome.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Vapour Grey

KEV1L

Post by KEV1L »

Brilliant work. Happy to know it’s possible, now just need to find the time. Do you think this can be done in a day, with all the gear to hand?
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-M | Aurora Blue
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

Yes definitely, I think mine was a bit drawn out because I didn’t order everything together, kufatec say allow five hours to do full installation and coding, probably not far off.
un_born

Post by un_born »

Betty W wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:59 pm
un_born wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:44 am
Betty W wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:51 pm Just managed to code them, have to say they sound fantastic.

20C77B36-B531-43D5-B647-F2B38EC9FD7B.jpeg
Did you need the dongle to unlock the head unit first or was it solely ODB11?
No I used the coding above and OBDeleven can unlock the head unit.
That's great news! Looking forward to doing mine (when it finally gets delivered to me) but I'll be installing a PUZU C7 DSP as well, since I have one spare from upgrading the ICE my Tarraco.

Would you say this set of wires is the same in fitment as the OEM VW wires you used, from speakers to B pillar plug, B Pillar Plug to Entertainment unit?

KEV1L

Post by KEV1L »

Sorry for the question dump, but thought it would be useful for others also considering this:

1. The focal website suggests you should use the IC speakers not the IS in the rear (ID3: https://www.focal-inside.com/volkswagen ... pact-2020/). I'm not an audiophile, what's the difference? Just the integrated tweeter vs external? Any benefits either way?
  2. Did you get cabling for the tweeters? If not, what's required?
  3. How did you attach the main speakers?
  4. From the images it looked like the tweeters 'clicked' in, is that correct? Did you have to melt something?
  5. Would you say the sound quality upgrade is worth doing the fronts at the same time?
  6. Do you fancy installing mine? ;)
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-M | Aurora Blue
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

un_born wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:28 pm
un_born wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:44 am

Did you need the dongle to unlock the head unit first or was it solely ODB11?
That's great news! Looking forward to doing mine (when it finally gets delivered to me) but I'll be installing a PUZU C7 DSP as well, since I have one spare from upgrading the ICE my Tarraco.

Would you say this set of wires is the same in fitment as the OEM VW wires you used, from speakers to B pillar plug, B Pillar Plug to Entertainment unit?

Yes they look like the ones, apart from wiring colour, but as long as you know where they go 👍
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

KEV1L wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:34 pm Sorry for the question dump, but thought it would be useful for others also considering this:

1. The focal website suggests you should use the IC speakers not the IS in the rear (ID3: https://www.focal-inside.com/volkswagen ... pact-2020/). I'm not an audiophile, what's the difference? Just the integrated tweeter vs external? Any benefits either way?
  2. Did you get cabling for the tweeters? If not, what's required?
  3. How did you attach the main speakers?
  4. From the images it looked like the tweeters 'clicked' in, is that correct? Did you have to melt something?
  5. Would you say the sound quality upgrade is worth doing the fronts at the same time?
  6. Do you fancy installing mine? ;)
I was told before I started this if you fit speakers with built in tweeters it would sound screechy because VW/ Cupra have jacked up the high tone because the factory rear woofer speakers have no tweeters so this gives some tone.

So I ordered the focal kit with the intension of just using the woofer and maybe use the higher grade tweeters in the front one day.
But in the coding if you look when your updating this part it has two options per channel, so rears have no HT active, but if you code this each side then you can install tweeters.

The tweeters are held in with melted plastic tabs and they come with the wiring.
I just used a soldering iron to do this.

Was going to order fronts but it sounds so good don’t think I’ll bother.

🤣🤣🤣 if you need any help I happy to advise 👍
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

Forgot to say I used self drilling screws for main speakers as I’m not a fan of rivets, the four mounting holes are already there so your not using the drilling part.

7E0E65DF-B0F9-4C43-9827-37847652BC3C.jpeg

un_born

Post by un_born »

Betty W wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:43 am
un_born wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:28 pm

Yes they look like the ones, apart from wiring colour, but as long as you know where they go 👍
Thanks for confirming. That means I can obtain the wiring required for a fraction of the OEM prices!
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I have to admit I would like rear speakers but I'm not going attempt anything as ambitious as what has been done here and full credit to Betty W. Does anyone know of any aftermarket supply and fit/cost?
Any Cupra warranty concerns?
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE