Hi from South West London

New to the CUPRA Born Forums? Introduce yourself here
pandamoanium

Post by pandamoanium »

Hi all,
Hopefully collecting my new born at the end of the month. It was a rushed purchase in a way due to our car being written off after a car accident.
But I had been looking for an eV for a while as our previous car was a phev.

Any suggestions or advice on home chargers? I know the Internet is there for me to do research and I have been doing some but there does not seem to be any concrete advice. It feels like I just go for the one that my wife likes the look of and which will look nice outside. Maybe technology has moved on and most of the safety features and options are available now in most wall chargers.

Thanks again for a great forum and looking forward to hopefully providing some advice when I have it.

Cheers
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Glacial White

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

It needs to be a smart one (I think they all are now), and ideally it will easily schedule charging during cheap overnight periods if you are on a n EV focused tariff like Octopus GO. Reliability here to do scheduled charging is a big consideration.

I have an Ohme charger and it has been far more reliable than most for scheduled charging, but there is a newer version of it that seems far less reliable on that score.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I have the PodPoint Solo, tethered 7m cable.
I am really happy with mine. I like that the cable is tidy wound around the casing . Reliability has been good. I have 2 occasions of the RCBO tripping overnight. No apparent reason although I read somewhere that minor network fluctuations can cause it. Don't know if that's a fact?
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Benjo88

Post by Benjo88 »

I have the Project EV charger, can’t fault it, yoh can set charging schedules but also set your electricity charging rates sk will gove you a breakdown (on the app) of how much it has cost each charging giving you some reliable monthly / weekly / dailys feedback in terms of energy used and cost.

Also it’s app activated so it won’t let anyone charge untill you give it the go ahead on the app…. Great for those who worry about random people charging off of it (not sure if that is a thing or not)

Anyways - highly recommend. Quite straight forward for installation also.
Cupra Born | V1 | Tech L Pack | Greyser Silver | Newcastle (North East|
pandamoanium

Post by pandamoanium »

Many thanks for all the answers and help with the chargers.

One last question please. I think it has been asked numerous times but I just want to see if any further advice comes back from it.
My car was written off due to an accident, so we have cash to now purchase the born outright or to go pcp. There seems to be allot about how technology will improve in years to come. We only do 4k miles or less a year, this is a family car and we do not expect to change it soon. But is it better to be safe and go pcp or save the interest costs to buy outright. By the time we come to sell the depreciation value should not have affected us compared to the interest costs etc etc
Thanks and I appreciate your advice.
SilverCupra

Post by SilverCupra »

I have the Hypervolt..

Works fine but the app is a bit buggy, doesn't calculate the charge cost correctly.

Nice hardware though, and the support is second to none.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Geysor Silver
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

We bought outright. At about 6% APR, about 1/3 of your payments are interest over the PCP term. With PCP you've got the security of a guaranteed future value if the the motor industry absolutely ranked, but what are the chances of that, given how conservatively set the PCP values are.

You could earn a pittance on the money in the bank, or save yourself £5k interest, unless you fancy yourself as the next Warren Buffett and invest it all with an element of risk (I don't have the nerve to do that!).
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
pandamoanium

Post by pandamoanium »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:36 pm We bought outright. At about 6% APR, about 1/3 of your payments are interest over the PCP term. With PCP you've got the security of a guaranteed future value if the the motor industry absolutely ranked, but what are the chances of that, given how conservatively set the PCP values are.

You could earn a pittance on the money in the bank, or save yourself £5k interest, unless you fancy yourself as the next Warren Buffett and invest it all with an element of risk (I don't have the nerve to do that!).
Thanks very much, that is exactly what I was thinking and my input given to others when asked. I understand everybody has the right to their own opinion and decisions. We have to do what is right for our own circumstances.