Security and Tracker

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

We're about to place an order for a Born and I was wondering if any members have added a Tracker and/or additional security.
Born 77 kw. V3. DCC Beats Heat Pump Firestorm

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

If I had a Golf R and I lived in a car theft hotspot like Coventry I would, For a Born? not so much. None is going to want to steal a Born and use it for ram raiding or evading the Law on a Police chase with a top speed of about 100mph and what will be quite a short range if driven very hard.

I'd be more worried about it getting damaged than stolen - I have front and back dashcams with parking monitoring for that issue.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Given the shortage of EVs, I consider security to be a reasonable concerns and any advice would be appreciated.

Here is the Tracker web page on EV system

https://www.tracker.co.uk/electric-vehicle-tracker
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

If your car gets stolen and recovered (because of the tracker you fit), would you really want it back, or would you rather it were gone for good and you get another? Stolen and recovered or gone for good - your no claims is affected either way.

I don't think i've read anywhere yet (including the Speakev forum) of an EV getting stolen/ Most moderately expensive performance cars stolen are shipped to Eastern Europe/Russia or broken down for parts. Given that breaking of EVs is very niche right now and the destination for stolen Golf Rs and Audi S and RS ranges isn't really going to have a decent charging network, it's a bit pointless stealing an ev right now, unless it's truly exotic.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

I've seen the same queries on the Golf R forums and the most important question seems to be: "If someone steals and thrashes the nuts off the car, would you want it back?". While accepting that a Born is not likely to be thrashed, I still probably wouldn't want it back, so a tracker is not on my list of requirements.
If your car will be parked overnight on the street or out on your driveway, then you might want to look at other threads on Ghost Immobilizers and Disklocks. The downside of those is that you may end up with the crims breaking into your house and threatening you or your family to get the keys/combination. Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything more than a disklock and only if the car is kept outside (mine is garaged so it's not a visible target).
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

I appreciate the feedback on broad consideration of car security. I've owned lots hot hatches such as three Ford RS models and I have a very high performance car at the moment. I know from being on various forums that if a thief knows you car has a Tracker they will be more circumspect. I am only seeking advice and experience from someone who has actually applied security to an EV.
Streetbeef

Post by Streetbeef »

We invested in home security and cameras specifically 1 overlooking the car and front and back doors + alarm system. We have a mk3 leon cupra 290 lux and know people are happy to steal those! they can drag the car off the drive if they like just dont come into my house and threaten my family!
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Reviving this thread to see if anyone has heard of Cupra Birn thefts as I've see ID3s appear on list of EV theft league table.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/moto ... c-27786973
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

A tracker is a 5 minute fit, but 3/4g signal blockers are norm amongst those that steal cars.

When the Borns at home it’s the last vehicle likely to be nicked, but the obvious answer is for manufactures to add a simple secondary start feature such as a PIN code
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

Just been told the Tesla 3 already has such