Battery Charging Advice Needed

All CUPRA Born related discussions
UniqueUser1

Post by UniqueUser1 »

Hi everyone,

Regarding the battery I’ve set the maximum charge to 80% following the recommendation on there.

I’m wondering at what % would you recommended re-charging the car?

It’s currently on around 38% charge. Is it best to not let the car go below a certain % before charging again?

Thank you!
Cupra Born V2 | Geyser Silver | Tech L Pack

Betty b

Post by Betty b »

I was told 20% but mine hasn’t dropped below 35% before I’ve charged to 80%
Only done a couple of 100% before long journeys.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Vapour Grey
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

The recommended battery care is to charge from 40% -80%.
Recommendations out side of that range are also OK if the battery is not left for long periods.
If you charge to 100% for full range drive off immediately.
Don't leave the car below 20% for long periods.
I'm ok with all of this but immediately and long periods are not very prescriptive.
The topics in the past also attract a lot of negatives in Winter months as you can imagine. If you run 40-80 in Winter you have 40% charge or around 80 miles of Winter range. In reality you have to charge more frequently when its fairly cold if you want the cabin heating on.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
KEV1L

Post by KEV1L »

I was told to run it from 80% to 20% by the dealer on collection, so that’s what I’ve done mostly. One 100% charge and ran it down to 5% once when I forgot to charge it overnight before going into the office.

I guess it’s happiest when it’s not full or empty so the 80/20 rule works for me.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-M | Aurora Blue
pws7482

Post by pws7482 »

Whilst on this subject of Charing. Has anyone used the chargers at Lidl? They’re really cheap in comparison to other charging stations but it’s not clear if you can use them if you’re not shopping. Heard stories of people being fined for using the parking facilities whilst charging out of opening hours but they seem to be quite old articles online. Apologies if this is a daft question.
Cupra Born Geyser Silver
V2 58kw Tech Pack L
Collection date 18/07/22
Born_in_PT

Post by Born_in_PT »

Hi,
I agree with what has already been said here.
Charge up to 80% everyday, don't let it go below 20% too often, and charge up to 100% whenever you need it for a longer trip.
I will add just one more thing: these batteries like frequent charges, even if small.
That is, even if it's at 70%, I'll just charge it up to 80 again.

And one more thing, make slow charges whenever possible and avoid ultra fast charging as much as possible.
These are the ones that cause a lot of degradation.
CUPRA Born Aurora Blue 58kWh
UniqueUser1

Post by UniqueUser1 »

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice & comments it’s much appreciated!
Cupra Born V2 | Geyser Silver | Tech L Pack
daern

Post by daern »

On the subject of this how are people managing both battery level cut-off and charge windows (e.g. to take advantage of cheaper overnight tariffs)? Right now, I have the car itself set up for 80%, and am using the Ohme Pro charger to manage the schedule, but it feels a bit clunky to use two sources to manage this (especially when the My Cupra app is so shockingly slow to use).
Born_in_PT

Post by Born_in_PT »

daern wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:11 am On the subject of this how are people managing both battery level cut-off and charge windows (e.g. to take advantage of cheaper overnight tariffs)? Right now, I have the car itself set up for 80%, and am using the Ohme Pro charger to manage the schedule, but it feels a bit clunky to use two sources to manage this (especially when the My Cupra app is so shockingly slow to use).
If I had an intelligent charger like you have I would do every settings on it and nothing on the car, since it's not reliable... and even less for the app...
CUPRA Born Aurora Blue 58kWh
daern

Post by daern »

Born_in_PT wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:46 am
daern wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:11 am On the subject of this how are people managing both battery level cut-off and charge windows (e.g. to take advantage of cheaper overnight tariffs)? Right now, I have the car itself set up for 80%, and am using the Ohme Pro charger to manage the schedule, but it feels a bit clunky to use two sources to manage this (especially when the My Cupra app is so shockingly slow to use).
If I had an intelligent charger like you have I would do every settings on it and nothing on the car, since it's not reliable... and even less for the app...
Interesting. So far, the smart charger did at least obey the "charge it when electric is cheap" rule (which is good), but as the car was already over 80%, I had to set the car to 100% max to achieve this. Right now, the charger doesn't seem to recognise the Cupra Born's charge status, so it can't manage the capacity itself, but I need to speak to Ohme about this - maybe it's something I'm doing wrong, or perhaps the car is just a bit new.

Will play around a bit more over the coming days. For me, the most annoying thing right now is that neither Ohme nor Cupra Born are supported today by Home Assistant, so I can't see my charge status / range there. I dare say this will change with time though....