Should I buy a Born until the issues are resolved

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

There have been some who perhaps have made a mistake, owning an EV hasn't been the experience they expected for whatever reason so they have taken that out on the car and harped on a bit irrationally! For me this forum has been really helpful to filter what are genuine issues from misunderstood functionality or issues that only affect the odd car, down to a relatively small number of things that are affecting a lot of cars (depending on their build date, spec and software release). There are some smart people on here who have explained the technology too.

Certainly gave me the confidence to not be palmed off by the dealer, Cupra customer services or Cupra digital support. There are a few issues they need to acknowledge and fix beyond the infamous "new settings are available for your user account" changing heating, lighting and acc settings. For me the most prominent is the steering servo oscillation, the others are 1st world problems which could be ignored, but if enough owners insist they fix these things then hopefully they will.

As for the haptics, laggy screen menus and front pillar I can see that for some people these could grate, but I also think reviewers latch on to things and lazily multiply it until a lot of people are convinced these things are all terrible. It's personal opinion of course, but I think approached with an open mind haptic controls are absolutely fine once you've adapted. A laggy infotainment experience could irritate if you were forever tinkering with it, but is that reality? Front pillar makes the car feel a little MPV at first, but I'd take a raked screen for efficiency and looks :D
Last edited by Deleted User 490 on Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FozzieBear

Post by FozzieBear »

Many thanks for your insight and experience with the car @CupraV3. Very much appreciated
FozzieBear

Post by FozzieBear »

Born Leccy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:20 pm There have been some who perhaps have made a mistake, owning an EV hasn't been the experience they expected for whatever reason so they have taken that out on the car and harped on a bit irrationally! For me this forum has been really helpful to filter what are genuine issues from misunderstood functionality or issues that only affect the odd car, down to a relatively small number of things that are affecting a lot of cars (depending on their build date, spec and software release). There are some smart people on here who have explained the technology too.

Certainly gave me the confidence to not be palmed off by the dealer, Cupra customer services or Cupra digital support. There are a few issues they need to acknowledge and fix beyond the infamous "new settings are available for your user account" changing heating, lighting and acc settings. For me the most prominent is the steering servo oscillation, the others are 1st world problems which could be ignored, but if enough owners insist they fix these things then hopefully they will.

As for the haptics, laggy screen menus and front pillar I can see that for some people these could grate, but I also think reviewers latch on to things and lazily multiply it until a lot of people are convinced these things are all terrible. It's personal opinion of course, but I think approached with an open mind haptic controls are absolutely fine once you've adapted. A laggy infotainment experience could irritate if you were forever tinkering with it, but is that reality? Front pillar makes the car feel a little MPV at first, but I'd take a raked screen for efficiency and looks :D
Many thanks for your thoughts and experience. I agree about asking ACTUAL owners rather than rely on reviews which is why I joined this forum before buying to get some real world advice and opinion.
I have not been disappointed with feedback and have been encouraged. I would buy one tomorrow but have to convince the "other driver" as it's going to be her car. I need to book a test drive soon so she can get behind the wheel.
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

Seeing one in the flesh, taking in the design details plus a test drive is the best marketing tool for a Cupra Born!
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

I’m with @Born Leccy generally.

There are things about the car that piss me off but it’s still a fantastic car.

Most of the things I don’t like are software related so can be fixed: forgetting settings, the vibration when making sharp turns, blank screen etc.

Physical things I don’t like don’t make me regret buying the car but it’s annoying that they weren’t thought of or more likely ignored by bean counters; The wipers are for left hand drive cars and lob water and draw line into your line of sight (it’s just cost cutting crap that shouldn’t be done one something so expensive), and the reversing camera isn’t under the boot handle like in the ID3 so constantly gets covered in crap.

My only fear is that they won’t or can’t fix the software using existing hardware, will move on to a facelift and hope abandoning their difficult mistakes won’t piss off too many existing customers…

I don’t think they will do that but it’s something to consider given how few updates being rolled out.