Touchscreen updates

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Ben88

Post by Ben88 »

Is the born really that bad?

I’ve got a v2 in quasar grey on order and the born seems so problematic and I’m having second thoughts after reading this forum lol

Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

I can only speak from personal experience, the issues are relatively minor, but collectively they add up to being quite irritating for a car that I had high expectations for. They aren’t apparent every time I use the car or if I’m not using functionality that makes them happen, so it probably comes over as worse than the reality is. I spend more time enjoying the way it drives and looks than being irritated.

That said if the issues aren’t resolved I will have a decision to make. Ioniq 5, EV6 or Model Y’s are great cars by all accounts, but I see them in a car park I use frequently and they look somewhat shoe-horned into their spaces in the same way as many SUVs do, that could be a bigger irritation given I use the car in urban settings as well as the open road!
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Ben88 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:22 pm Is the born really that bad?

I’ve got a v2 in quasar grey on order and the born seems so problematic and I’m having second thoughts after reading this forum lol
It can be off putting. However, its a car which is a great deal more than an electronic tablet that sits in the middle of the dash. I have had my car since June and an ID3 before it. I could do without the need to keep re-adjusting settings but the car overall more than makes up for those shortcomings which I believe will be fixed along the way.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Deleted User 614

Post by Deleted User 614 »

Hey all
I can live with it for now. But sorry, it's gone far sooner than planned. I too am looking around and pretty sure I have decided on an entirely different make (and not an EV either).
It's a year old in October, and I will change it then.

One day, I may come back to EV's, but it's not the future yet.
Deleted User 490

These issues aren’t EV related, so guess you’re not buying into EVs generally yet?
Deleted User 614

Post by Deleted User 614 »

Nope. Sorry, the whole EV thing has been mis-sold. I am lucky that (at the moment), I don't need to use public chargers. But, they are more expensive to use than petrol now.

We all know the initial range lies. Even so, when you collect the car and THEN they tell you to use it between 20% and 80% charge as much as you can, it just add insult to injury.

There are absolutely no financial benefits that I can see to go electric at the moment. No home charger purchase help, no dealer discounts etc

I'll have a look at where EV's are in 5 years after this toe dip and re-assess.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Rach1987 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:19 pm Nope. Sorry, the whole EV thing has been mis-sold. I am lucky that (at the moment), I don't need to use public chargers. But, they are more expensive to use than petrol now.

We all know the initial range lies. Even so, when you collect the car and THEN they tell you to use it between 20% and 80% charge as much as you can, it just add insult to injury.

There are absolutely no financial benefits that I can see to go electric at the moment. No home charger purchase help, no dealer discounts etc

The financial package has never really made good sense, it's the environmental benefits that have to sell the cars with people turning from ICE power cars for that reason alone.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Deleted User 490

The cost of entry is high, the cost of the batteries is difficult to absorb, although those that can get into an EV via salary sacrifice with low BIK rates are laughing. We didn’t get any of that but running cost savings are significant. Our smart tariff powers 90% of the miles our EVs do at 10-15% the cost per mile of petrol, home charger paid for itself. There’s still zero road tax, zero London congestion charge and in our council zero car parking charges. The traditional dealer discounting model seems to be going away, Cupra don’t do it now, Tesla never have, but EV list prices will surely come down relatively (e.g. Tesla). Drove past a VW dealer earlier, 22 plate ID3s were 26-27k, they would have been 34-35k last sep/oct.

Five years is a long time, glad to be part of it now. Even on a 58kWh Born, day to day using between using 20-80% of the battery SoC is of no concern, on longer trips we need to stop as often as the car (faster charging in winter would be nice). Agreed the environmental benefits are key, there are a lot of myths being peddled about EVs. Our tariff is green and zero tailpipe emissions is paying back the impact of the battery manufacture, but obviously there’s more work needed.
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

Rach1987 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:19 pm Nope. Sorry, the whole EV thing has been mis-sold. I am lucky that (at the moment), I don't need to use public chargers. But, they are more expensive to use than petrol now.

There is absolutely no way I’m going back to petrol. Last time I drove one it was like driving a steam train in comparison. It was brand new and only had 100 miles on the clock too.

If they don’t sort the software I’ll just have to find another EV I like and can afford, probably a Polstar 2 or Kia Niro EV.

The car was expensive to buy but cheap as chips to run. Nearly a year into EV ownership and I’ve spent £220 on home charging to do around 11k miles. Probably another £50 - £100 on rapids.

I’ve also bought a big enough stake in the Ripple energy Kirk Hill wind farm to cover all my electricity use so future energy prices aren’t a worry. EV’s definitely make financial sense for me.
Ben88

Post by Ben88 »

Daveion wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:36 am
Ben88 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:22 pm Is the born really that bad?

It can be off putting. However, its a car which is a great deal more than an electronic tablet that sits in the middle of the dash. I have had my car since June and an ID3 before it. I could do without the need to keep re-adjusting settings but the car overall more than makes up for those shortcomings which I believe will be fixed along the way.
Hopefully cupra do eventually fixes these issues!
What settings do you need to re-adjust? Sounds like a pain in the backside!