Please help - born won’t charge at home

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Benjo88

Post by Benjo88 »

Hi all, hoping for a quick fix here.

I have a “Project EV charger at home, worked fine and charged my born for 4 months. Recently i have started to notice a warning sing about it not being able to “fully charge” on the dash screen. (Image attached)

Most occasions it still charges fine but last night and on one other occasion the charge was interupted and it did not charge.

Can’t help but think it all may be related.

Welcome any comments on how to rectify this. I have not changed any settings that i know of on both EV and charger.

D7F404E1-1EA8-4EF6-9D7E-526111F1B90F.jpeg

Cupra Born | V1 | Tech L Pack | Greyser Silver | Newcastle (North East|

Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

Might be worth googling “unable to fully charge vehicle consult vehicle wallet”.

Seems VW group cars do have this issue. The example closest to what you describe was a fault with the on-car charger that needed to be resolved by the dealer. You could try taking your car to a public charger or use a different home charger/cable and see if the same thing happens. If it does it would point to a car issue rather than a charger issue.
Benjo88

Post by Benjo88 »

I charger tonight at a public charger and no issues. It has completely baffled me as been using this charger for months, it will probably charge tonight then not tomorrow. Very random.

Also get a solid red light once connected but i do set a schedule so that might be the reason (swear i have read something about a constant red light when cable connected but scheduled charge)
Deleted User 490

Ah ok, assume the public charger was a DC charger? If so I guess it’s possible there’s an issue with the AC side of the car’s charger.

Mine throws a red light occasionally but it shouldn’t throw a red light because it’s waiting for a scheduled charge, the red light is an error and it also releases the cable, which you may not want to happen. Mine’s connected at the moment, charger scheduled to start at 21:30 start, white light to start with, then it goes off after a little while. Cable locked until I unlock the car.
mangobay

Post by mangobay »

It is possible to have a red light if there is a schedule set on the external charging device (as opposed to the car's scheduling itself). Is it possible you have somehow set a schedule to apply to the external charger?
Deleted User 490

Had some compatibility issues with my charger and ID.3 when I first got it. Pod Point said the red light was a handshake error which shouldn’t happen just because there’s a schedule on the charger.

They addressed it with a software update, rarely happens now, but if it does physically disconnecting and reconnecting clears it and re-locks the cable. So agree the red light could be related to a scheduled charge, but it’s not a given.
Benjo88

Post by Benjo88 »

Thanks everyone. Still looking into it, will update soon,
steve green

Post by steve green »

Same problem hear with a Zappi, worked fine for months now doesn't now its cold. Difficult to diagnose but so far looks like the charger not the car as rebooting / selecting other options seemed to work. Wiggling the cable seemed to work also, concerning. More info needed.
New V1 Owner from July 2022
84giggles

Post by 84giggles »

Did you get a resolution on this? I’m having the same issue. My born works fine at charging stations but not at home. My other EV works fine on my home charger so it must be the Born at fault I think. Thanks!
ColdFrosty

Post by ColdFrosty »

I had a similar issue. I had a lot of diagnostic work run on the car at the Cupra garage but nothing was found. I reset and updated the Zappi charger.
It turned out to be the charging cable. It intermittently didn’t work, which made the issue difficult to diagnose (especially as two tethered chargers I had tried had other faults, which led me to think it was the car, I always read comments on charging points now).
However when it finally stopped charging altogether but tethered public charging worked I bought a new charge cable just to see and for the last few months the issue hasn’t reappeared.