Typhoon alloy copper stickers

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

I'm thinking about having a go at making up some copper stickers to go over the silver parts on my Typhoon alloys.

I've got access to a vinyl cutter and the software, but trying to save some of my time measuring, drawing, cutting and test fitting, by getting a decent straight on image of the alloys.

I know there's someone who has already done this on one of the facebook groups, but I don't do Facebook, and do like to give things a go myself.

If I can get a good straight on image, I can vectorise it and then I should only need a couple of point to point measurements to resize it, rather than having to measure lots of angles and radii.
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-July 22 - VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm a bit confused as to why you don't take pics of your own wheels? . I can take pics - do you need a full face pics and some specific shots of the individual silver areas?
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

I can take pictures myself, but was wondering if anyone had come across an image online showing them from exactly face on.

All of the pictures on the cupra site are from a slight angle, and taking a photo odds are they wouldn't be exactly straight on, which would slightly change the curves and angles.

I might just have to take my own photo and try using that.
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

I think you need to get the copper colour vinyl spot on for factory look, it has lacquer finish, I got some mat copper and ended up removing it as it didn’t look right.
Last edited by Betty b on Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Vapour Grey
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Blackeunos wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:08 pm I can take pictures myself, but was wondering if anyone had come across an image online showing them from exactly face on.

All of the pictures on the cupra site are from a slight angle, and taking a photo odds are they wouldn't be exactly straight on, which would slightly change the curves and angles.

I might just have to take my own photo and try using that.
I could try taking pics face on, but doubt they would come out any better than yours. I thought yours might've been unavailable due to a workshop visit.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Betty b wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:33 am I think you need to get the copper colour vinyl spot on too for factory look, it has lacquer finish, I got some mat copped and ended up removing it as it didn’t look right.
I was going to try to get something to match the copper of the badges and front bumper detail, which looks matt/hammered effect.

There are a couple on amazon that I'm going to get to try.
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

Blackeunos wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:01 pm
I've got access to a vinyl cutter and the software, but trying to save some of my time measuring, drawing, cutting and test fitting, by getting a decent straight on image of the alloys.

If I can get a good straight on image, I can vectorise it and then I should only need a couple of point to point measurements to resize it, rather than having to measure lots of angles and radii.
Why not go old tech and use a brass-rubbing technique. Since all the sections of the wheel are identical, sellotape a piece of paper over one section of the silver shape and use crayon or a soft pencil to shade over the area you want, cut a sample to test it and then create multiple shapes from that template in your chosen colour. I'd reckon that will be more accurate than any photograph.
If you don't know what brass-rubbing is, Google is your friend.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

alanjs wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:04 am Why not go old tech and use a brass-rubbing technique. Since all the sections of the wheel are identical, sellotape a piece of paper over one section of the silver shape and use crayon or a soft pencil to shade over the area you want, cut a sample to test it and then create multiple shapes from that template in your chosen colour. I'd reckon that will be more accurate than any photograph.
If you don't know what brass-rubbing is, Google is your friend.
Hadn't thought of doing a rubbing, might do that and scan it in, good idea. Should be able to smooth out any imperfections when it's in the software.
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

Yes keep us updated, hope you can sort it 👍
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Vapour Grey
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

20220924_160011.jpg

Did the rubbing today, and a quick version in the CAD software. Will get some cut out of scrap vinyl this week to see what tweeks are needed.

Also had an idea for a phone holder for the back of the centre console so the kids can watch their phones.