Born v2 58kWh ordered in March...still waiting..changing my mind?

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Born2Ride

Post by Born2Ride »

I test drove and then ordered a Born back in March this year. Finally in early August dealer rang to say it was ready, except it didn't have the tech L pack I'd ordered but that'd be OK and they'd see about getting it installed later. Naturally I said no to that, these things have a way of not happening. Dealer claimed the orders were messed up, not their fault etc but I have my doubts. They said they'd sell the car and order me what I asked for the first time around! Anyway, late August I got an email from Cupra direct to say it's now 'In Motion' and about to be built.

I'm getting nervous now, it's a wedge of cash and with prices of everything rocketing I'm thinking maybe still to the old banger I have (10yr old diesel family wagon). I had a Tesla Model 3 previously as a company car so I am happy with going electric (although wish the Born was a touch more nippy!) Also annoyed by things like rear arm rest not included and no rear door speakers WTAF?

I'm intending to purchase outright, fortunate enough to have the cash available. Lease/PCP I can understand if you haven't the cash but you do pay a ton more, especially with resale values seeming to be strong with EVs at the moment - please do set me straight if I'm missing obvious benefits? I was quoted £450/month plus £3000 deposit, 4yrs, 10k miles with £17k balloon payment.

I have a small deposit down, but contract suggests I might forfeit that and more if I cancel, I haven't talked to them yet.

So welcome anyone's thoughts. Will the dealer give back the deposit given demand? Should I buy it, drive for a few months and see how it goes, what will I sell it for?

I should add I got v2 58kWh, black paint and tech L pack for £35,300, quite a bit less than retail today.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

If you want the car, you made quite a saving. If you can charge at home on a cheap overnight tariff like Octopus Go, you'll be saving 85% of your current diesel bill.

If you are reliant on rapid chargers, I'd be tempted to keep the diesel at current electricity rates.

I bought outright too, with the anticipation that in normal times of supply and demand, it'll be losing £300 a month. In these times, it may lose next to nothing.

If you decide not to go ahead, there's no way the dealership should keep any deposit. Someone will snap the dealers hand off for full retail, so they'll be making an extra few grand over selling it to you.

It's a strong bet you could run it for a year and get back what you paid if the supply of parts isn't resolved then.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Born2Ride

Post by Born2Ride »

Thanks for the reply, certainly reassuring. Dealer has gone very quiet. Can't help thinking the car is being driven by someone who paid the higher RRP!
xynamic

Post by xynamic »

Feeling you about the rear speakers! Went to adjust the fader and there wasn’t one. Totally crazy
Gregblack

Post by Gregblack »

A dealer I’m sure would refund a deposit as they can sell the cars all day long. I went on to the dealer in September and picked mine up last week so wait wasn’t too long but I sympathise with you as 7 months seems excessive.
V1 in that nice blue colour with some bits on it
Rerb

Post by Rerb »

Mine was a cancelled order due to wait & was supposed to be within a couple of weeks.
When I put my deposit down but ended up 3 months of waiting so came on a newer reg plate.
V3, Aurora Blue, Beats Audio, Glass Roof
Boxed-in

Post by Boxed-in »

I placed an Order for a Red V3 77KWh in June, no contact from the dealer to even say when the car might be delivered, which is frustrating, I do feel the dealers have the upper hand and we just have to be patient.

What is typical delivery times now? Does anybody know 🤷🏼‍♂️
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

Boxed-in wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:45 pm I placed an Order for a Red V3 77KWh in June, no contact from the dealer to even say when the car might be delivered, which is frustrating, I do feel the dealers have the upper hand and we just have to be patient.

What is typical delivery times now? Does anybody know 🤷🏼‍♂️
My order went in towards the end of June with an estimated October delivery. The status last Friday (14 Oct) was code 20 (in build). I send the dealer an e-mail and they usually reply within a day or so. I'm waiting for this week's update.
I've been looking at the delivery times thread on the ID.3 forum and while there are some variances, delivery times from that status code seem to take 3 to 5 weeks, but there's no way to be certain.
Don't wait for the dealer to call, phone them or send an e-mail
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023