EV Home Charging costs vs Petrol Costs!!!

All CUPRA Born related discussions
un_born

Post by un_born »

I'm interested in what you find out. Do you have a plan breakdown?

TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

un_born wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:25 pm
TheBornIDentity wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:35 pm
Benjo88 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:54 am Some great feedback above from all, cery interesting. I currently can’t find an EV tarrif with energy companies. Although when looking into one, i noticed that (although off peak timings / costing was extremely low) the peak charge were quite high, higher than the standArd charge (obviously Oct price increase has gone up again) so i’m assuming EV Tarrifs will go up even more.
It’s only really Octopus and EDF doing them and neither will let you sign up to one unless you’re an existing customer with the right smart meter that can send readings ever 30 mins.

If you are going to be using in the region of 50% domestic / 50% EV (or more for your EV) for your electricity use then it’s definitely worth looking at switching to Octopus for a standard tariff to get the ball rolling. Especially if you have other usage you can move to overnight like washing machines and dishwasher when you switch to an EV tariff later.

If you were with Octopus right now you could fix for a year at 40p / 7.5p which is pretty good considering the cap is going to 52p in a month. My crystal ball says that that tariff will change to more like 62p though soon :(

Problem is, no provider is taking on new customers at the moment. All are saying just to stay put with your current provider. If you know of any provider who is taking new customers who have an EV tariff, I'm all ears!
I think they are advising people to stay with their current provider as they can’t offer you anything better but I’ve heard of people switching by calling them. It gives you a number on their website to call if you still want to switch 08081693274

You can tell them you eventually want to switch to GO as a reason for switching. You may have already tried that though and they said no.

Working out if an EV tariff is right for you is not too difficult if you know your electricity consumption without one.

Work out how many miles you do a year divide that by 3.8 and that’s around how many kWh the car will need.

So 10k miles = 2631 kWh

Cost on coming cap = 2631 x 0.52p = £1368.21
Cost on Octopus GO or Intelligent = £197.32

Then you need to work out what your normal electricity would cost on the EV tariff vs your standard including any daily difference in standing charge.

As a general rule of thumb though if you used 50% or more for your car it’s definitely worth doing. If use less for the car it might not work out for you. Like if you do 5k miles and there is someone at home all day normally.

There is a link to a calculator in this video you might find useful.

Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Another useful YouTube video

Born 77 kw. V3. DCC Beats Heat Pump Firestorm