Red Light when Charger Connected

All CUPRA Born related discussions
SilverCupra

Post by SilverCupra »

Hi All,

For the last couple of weeks I have had strange behaviour when plugging my charger in to my car.

1) Cable from Hypervolt charger plugged in, with the charger set for 00:30 to 04:40 schedule.
2) White LED on car charger port flashes.
3) After a while LED on car charger port turns a steady red.
4) Unplug car, and try again.
5) Re-plug in car, and exactly same thing happens.
7) Using the Hypervolt charger app, briefly turn off schedule.
8) Few clicks from both car and charger.
9) LED on car charger port turns green and charging starts.
10) Using the Hypervolt charger app, turn schedule back on.
11) Charging stops, and LED on car charger port turns solid white for a few seconds then goes out.

After performing this procedure, the charge then works fine !!

Just wondering why hen initially plugged in the LED on car charger port goes red ?

Anyone else seen this or got any ideas ?
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Geysor Silver

Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Isn't the red to signal that there's a charging problem?

From what you've put above, when you plug it in, the car is trying to charge, but because you have a schedule on the hyperbole, it isn't supplying a charge, leading the car to think there's a problem.

When youturn the hyperbole schedule off, it charges, as yhe car is expecting a charge, and the hyperbole is now supplying it.

I could be wrong, but if you set a schedule, the red light will display, but then when the schedule you have set starts, it should start to charge.

Why don't you try setting a schedule that you can check when it starts to see if the light starts red outside of the scheduled times, and then changes to green and starts charging during the scheduled times.

I don't bother and just charge to 80% when needed, so haven't really used the in car timers, and my podpoint is 6 years old, so has never been linked to the app!
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-July 22 - VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

The red light is normal when you plug in but there is no juice until the schedule starts. It flashes white then turns red for maybe 2 or 3 minutes? The car doesn't know you are on a schedule so reports it as a failure to charge before the light extinguishes. Its reported in the app as a failure as well.
It worried me when I first had my ID3 but its all normal.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
SilverCupra

Post by SilverCupra »

Daveion wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:11 pm The red light is normal when you plug in but there is no juice until the schedule starts. It flashes white then turns red for maybe 2 or 3 minutes? The car doesn't know you are on a schedule so reports it as a failure to charge before the light extinguishes. Its reported in the app as a failure as well.

Ahh, I see..

Thank you for your reply, I was wondering what was going on..

The Red LED was making me think that something was wrong :-(

Glad to hear it is normal.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Geysor Silver
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

SilverCupra wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:51 pm
Daveion wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:11 pm The red light is normal when you plug in but there is no juice until the schedule starts. It flashes white then turns red for maybe 2 or 3 minutes? The car doesn't know you are on a schedule so reports it as a failure to charge before the light extinguishes. Its reported in the app as a failure as well.

Ahh, I see..

Perfectly. Worry when it doesnt do that 😊
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

SilverCupra wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:51 pm

Ahh, I see..

Perfectly. Worry when it doesnt do that 😊
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

Old thread but these issues still seem to linger. @daveion, is your experience that after the initial red light error due to being connected but no power until the scheduled charge, the red light goes out and the cable is re-locked to the car?
RKJM30

Post by RKJM30 »

The thing to be wary of is that the car unlocks the plug when the red light comes on. If the cable is nudged or displaced slightly, when it tries to re-lock at the start of the Hypervolt scheduled charge, it is possible that the locking pin might not be able to re-engage due to the plug being out of alignment. If this happens (and it happened to me a few days ago) then the car will only charge at 1kw in emergency charging mode because it could not lock the plug into the car. It seems that this can be avoided using the following work around.
1. With the charging schedule set up in the car, set the Hypervolt to “Plug and Charge”.
2. Plug the connector into the car. The car will start charging for a few seconds (breathing green light).
3. The car will revert to its preferred schedule and the green light will flash.
4. Set the Hypervolt to “Scheduled Charge”.

The plug should remain locked into the car and the hypervolt will only allow charging in the set window.
Born V3-Tech L Heatpump
Hypervolt 2.0
Intelligent Octopus
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

Thanks for that RKJM30, mine doesn’t re-lock if it throws the red light error, but I did wonder if I was being impatient.

Pod Point provided a software update to alleviate the red light/scheduling issue and it only happens very occasionally now. Might be worth taking to Hypervolt about it. Seems to be a VAG EV related thing, our Mini electric has never done it.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Born Leccy wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:28 am Old thread but these issues still seem to linger. @daveion, is your experience that after the initial red light error due to being connected but no power until the scheduled charge, the red light goes out and the cable is re-locked to the car?
I have never checked to see if the plug is locked or not. I have mine set to unlock when charge is finished. I have a tethered Podpoint so cable is secure. I will be plugging in when I get home around 10pm. Will let you know.
Dave
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE