Servicing

All CUPRA Born related discussions
WelshCupraB

Post by WelshCupraB »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:52 pm You'll be surprised then.

Presumably in a move to preserve dealership servicing revenues, the official ID3 service prices are scandalous, despite VW's ID range promotional Web pages promoting cheap service costs as an advantage to EV ownership.

There's very few things that actually need doing, but the official schedule of works name a few tasks twice to make the list look more intensive and include items that are unnecessary or take seconds to do - including checking your type 2 cable that came with the car to make sure it isn't falling to bits, and even checking your charging port for cleanliness, despite it being sealed with a rubber gasket around the inside of the filler flap. They also make a big deal about topping you up to a full charge - thanks VW, I couldn't have done that myself at home for pennies.

The £17 pollen filter takes about 20 seconds to change, with no tools required - it's like changing a VHS tape. The rest of the service involves a few visual checks of the suspension/underside of the car and brake discs/pads on the front, as well as checking the tyres over (presumably adding a screw to one of your tyres to upsell you a new one). Then they change the brake fluid, which is almost certainly unnecessary within 5 years unless your brake fluid system has a leak to allow moisture ingress - a simple dip test is all that should be required to confirm the moisture content is in spec, but VW insist on replacing it - how environmentally unfriendly of them!

Wash and vac is also itemised on the service schedule now, but many would not need or want it (added scratches and swirls from the gritty sponge come free).

They also give you your first MOT to make things look better value than they are as MOTs cannot cost more than £55 by law, at current rates.

So, for your £359 (WTF?!?) you get a:-

20 second change of a £17 pollen filter, about 15 mins of visual checks, a £55 MOT and an £80 brake fluid change you almost certainly don't need. So £152 of itemised stuff there, plus another 15 minutes of visual checks and an unnecessary wash and vac cost an additional £207.

The true definition of highway robbery.

I will get mine done at an independent using the official pollen filter for about £120 if they do the wholly unnecessary brake fluid change. This will not compromise the warranty - EU consumer laws prevent the car manufacturers obliging you to have servicing done at their dealership, but all parts used need to be OEM.

Also, those sheisters at VAG have stopped the service you buy upfront being transferable with the car. So if you buy with your car and sell/trade in after 18 months, you just chucked away £359.

A Golf GTI service pack with 2 oil and filter changes and about 2 genuine hours of labour costs just £20 more, and at least half of that cost is actually going on tangible consumables.

Feeling ripped off yet?
Totally agree. The brake fluid should be tested and if no water present no need to change it before 5 years. Over the years with my cars I made sure they changed the fluid every 3 to 5 years and made sure they took fluid from each brake assembly and not just one as some try and get away with. My recent service didn't include a video of the Tech doing anything instead I got some rubbish graphic that told me my car was OK, laughable. I have had cars serviced by main dealers in the past who ticked a box on a sheet and didn't actually do the check. I knew because washer fluid was empty, hinges and locks didn't have any grease on them, rear wiper blade was worn out etc. etc. There are very good main dealers and some bad ones. Cupra Cardiff so far are brilliant, I think ?

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Anyone had their Born serviced lately, and if so what were they charged?

Ours is approaching 2 years old and we've been quoted £175 from Cupra Pulman at Sunderland. That doesn't include the pollen filter. They also said brake fluid and aircon services were optional extras, I would not be taking them up on that - brake fluid should not need doing at 2 years, and the aircon still blows clean and cold.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:24 am Anyone had their Born serviced lately, and if so what were they charged?

Ours is approaching 2 years old and we've been quoted £175 from Cupra Pulman at Sunderland. That doesn't include the pollen filter. They also said brake fluid and aircon services were optional extras, I would not be taking them up on that - brake fluid should not need doing at 2 years, and the aircon still blows clean and cold.
I wouldn't moan too much about £175 as some people in Germany and Switzerland are being charged 600 euro at their dealerships for MEB inspections lol.

The air filter is ridiculously easy to change and only costs about 20-25 euro so there's no point in paying for someone else to do that.

As for brake fluid, you should be able to get 3 years out of the first factory batch then changing it every 2 years thereafter is recommended due to its hygrophilic nature.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Elea4 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:47 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:24 am Anyone had their Born serviced lately, and if so what were they charged?

I wouldn't moan too much about £175 as some people in Germany and Switzerland are being charged 600 euro at their dealerships for MEB inspections lol.

The air filter is ridiculously easy to change and only costs about 20-25 euro so there's no point in paying for someone else to do that.

As for brake fluid, you should be able to get 3 years out of the first factory batch then changing it every 2 years thereafter is recommended due to its hygrophilic nature.
That was my thinking for the pollen filter - about £18 to buy and 30 seconds to fit. Brake fluid should last up to 5 years if there's no system leaks to allow water/moist air in. I would definitely go at least 3 years. 3 years initially then every 2 years used to be the standard VAG recommendations, not sure why they've dropped to every 2 years then not included it in the service schedules.

Even so, £175 for what is essentially 30 minutes of visual checks and no parts is absolute robbery, I wondered what others were paying in the UK - I'm sure that some ID3 owners are paying less than this, and getting the air filter.

My local dealerships are doing all they can to bring in well paid work, while shunning warranty work where they can. My S3 got its first service last week and left with an emission control warning light tgat wasn't on when I put it in. 10 days notice to get it in for a service, 10 weeks notice to get booked in for the warranty fix.

CupraVlox

Post by CupraVlox »

Car is two years old now and gave me the inspection now message. Went to the garage and they charged me 280 euro for the inspection alone.. Brake fluid they would charge 70 euro and Pollen Filter 90 euro!!! So I skipped those and get it done somewhere else..
Cupra Born - Adrenaline One - 2022 - Quasar Grey
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Service done and I mentioned the blobby projections on the puddle lights so they replaced those under warranty.

While I was waiting at my local dealership (Sunderland Pulman) for the service to be done, Twickenham dealership called (where I got our white Born from, which was sold for my S3, we kept the blue one), trying to get me to move to another Born. He was keen, so although it seemed like a fools errand I asked what P/X I could expect on our current Born V2 E-Boost, 2 years old/15k miles in excellent condition....£19800. I was informed that is a whole £250 more than the WBAC price, as if they were offering such a great price (motorway is currently £21300).

Told him that £18k depreciation over 2 years is far beyond my expectations and I'm in no hurry to get rinsed again buying a car at full RRP with such horrendous depreciation (the 3 year GFV in force when I bought the car is higher than their offer). No offer of dealership discount, just 0% finance (we own the Born outright), big incentive for some, not for us.

We'll either keep this a good while or trade it in at 3 years old for a year old one and let someone else take the big initial hit, or we'll go back to fossil fuel if depreciation is still crazy.

My S3 bought new a year ago is worth £3.5k less than I paid for it, that's the kind of depreciation I find manageable.

Can't see the point of paying over the odds to insure the Born and suffering £7 - 9k a year depreciation to save £900 a year at the pumps. Private ownership of a new BEV right now is a poor proposition, due to depreciation - there's no demand for these used with a price that would give reasonable depreciation.

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

My Born goes in for its 2 year service on July 16th.
Actual due date for 2 years is June 22nd.
Got 2 quotes from local'ish Seat/Cupra dealerships..
One was £347 Inc vat Inc brake fluid and pollen filter from Group1 Autos and 2nd from W J King was £220 for exactly the same level of service. I asked them about TPI 2067682/5, a fix for the clicking noise from the rear hubs but they didn't seem to know anything about it so will take it up with them later. Why the costs were so different I don't understand.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

The pollen filter is €20 (Amazon) and takes 30 secs to change , I did mine after spring as it's in bad condition with pollen due to where I live, the garage should discount if they don't need to do it.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.