Dealership Enquiry

All CUPRA Born related discussions
TaylorT2

Post by TaylorT2 »

Hi everyone,

This has concerned me for quite a while so I'm hoping some others are able to speak from experience on this matter.

So my order was delivered to the dealership on the 30th Jan 2024. Still don't have it and it's due to be delivered to me on the 9th April. Yes, that is a crazy delivery time. It's down to the price decrease that happened and it threw my leasing firm so it's been sat at Seat Leicester since 30th Jan.

The part I'm worried about is:

1) Will they have had it on charge this entire time?

2) Will it have been shipped on 100% and it's been sat at a high battery capacity this entire time?

3) How bad will the battery degradation have been in this time considering it's not been touched?

Hoping anyone that's had to leave there car at the dealership for a long time or has been in the same or similar situation to me can let me know their experience.

Thanks.

Ponk

Post by Ponk »

1) No, and it doesn't matter anyway.

2) Who knows, it doesn't matter.

Stop worrying, enjoy the car when you get it.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
TaylorT2

Post by TaylorT2 »

Ponk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:02 pm 1) No, and it doesn't matter anyway.

2) Who knows, it doesn't matter.

Stop worrying, enjoy the car when you get it.
Why doesn't it matter exactly?
milkyway55

Post by milkyway55 »

1) no
2) no
3) none
2023 Cupra Born, 77kWh eBoost, 5 seats, Aurora Blue, 19" Copper Typhoon, Pilot L + TPA, Tech L w/SAFE, AR-HUD.
TaylorT2

Post by TaylorT2 »

milkyway55 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:11 pm 1) no
2) no
3) none
Why no to those questions

And why no battery degradation

Might be tedious questions but at the end of the day it's still the car I'll be driving for a long time that I've paid for
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

Why would VW waste money on electricity to fully charge all the EVs they sell? I think the general policy to is ship it with 30-50% charge which is a long-term sweet-spot according to various studies.

It's up to the dealer's discretion to charge it after it arrives
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

Because car/battery manufacturer developers and engineers think about all possible scenarios and conditions and design cars appropriately. A car driving off the production line, to arriving at the owners door, is typically many months, the cars go to Oz on ships etc.

You can't overcharge an EV by leaving it plugged in, the technology and communication between the car and the charger is pretty advanced.

For both 1 and 2, you are probably linking continuous charging to 100% which causes accelerated battery degradation, but really, this is not the same thing as your car waiting to be delivered, regardless of it's state. Again, don't worry about it.

I hope you get some good news on your car soon, I have no knowledge of the type of lease stuff in the UK but it sounds like a political nightmare, I would be going mad a the lease company but I guess there isn't much you can do.

PS My car was in the dealer about a week before I collected it, was sitting on a slow charger at 89% when I arrived, so it hadn't been sitting full. I've left my car at an airport for 3 weeks and it hadn't dropped 1%! So your car would maybe be 50% like Elea4 suggests and a few months later it would only be a few % loss.
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.
TaylorT2

Post by TaylorT2 »

Ponk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:43 pm Because car/battery manufacturer developers and engineers think about all possible scenarios and conditions and design cars appropriately. A car driving off the production line, to arriving at the owners door, is typically many months, the cars go to Oz on ships etc.

You can't overcharge an EV by leaving it plugged in, the technology and communication between the car and the charger is pretty advanced.

For both 1 and 2, you are probably linking continuous charging to 100% which causes accelerated battery degradation, but really, this is not the same thing as your car waiting to be delivered, regardless of it's state. Again, don't worry about it.

I hope you get some good news on your car soon, I have no knowledge of the type of lease stuff in the UK but it sounds like a political nightmare, I would be going mad a the lease company but I guess there isn't much you can do.

PS My car was in the dealer about a week before I collected it, was sitting on a slow charger at 89% when I arrived, so it hadn't been sitting full. I've left my car at an airport for 3 weeks and it hadn't dropped 1%! So your car would maybe be 50% like Elea4 suggests and a few months later it would only be a few % loss.
Hey Ponk, the main worry I have is that it's actually been at the dealership since January and it's going to be delivered in April to me, that's the worry.

What has the car even doing since Jan and will it have been on a high % charge just sitting there
milkyway55

Post by milkyway55 »

TaylorT2 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:37 pm
2) no
3) none

Might be tedious questions but at the end of the day it's still the car I'll be driving for a long time that I've paid for
Because the dealer won't have it on charge for all this time, they don't come from factory with 100% charge and battery degredation is caused by driving it and charging it over several years, not sat in a dealer's lot.
2023 Cupra Born, 77kWh eBoost, 5 seats, Aurora Blue, 19" Copper Typhoon, Pilot L + TPA, Tech L w/SAFE, AR-HUD.
TaylorT2

Post by TaylorT2 »

milkyway55 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:57 pm
TaylorT2 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:37 pm
2) no
3) none

Because the dealer won't have it on charge for all this time, they don't come from factory with 100% charge and battery degredation is caused by driving it and charging it over several years, not sat in a dealer's lot.
So even if the battery was charged to let's say 80% and has been sat there since January until April, that the battery is absolutely fine?