Puddle / mirror down lights extra marks in Cupra logo

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
JBorn

Post by JBorn »

Wow, at least I have some knowledge that it's not just me then if they try to fob me off again! Who else has got this issue?

If I was you, I'd log it with Cupra UK anyway so that you've got it on record... especially if you do high milage like me, I'll be out of warranty by November this year probably as I do about 30 - 40k mi/year

"Each new CUPRA comes with a comprehensive warranty comprising of a two-year unlimited mileage followed by a third year of warranty until your car reaches 60,000 miles."
https://www.cupraofficial.co.uk/owners/ ... a-warranty

mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

I just booked mine to be repaired early Feb. They said it will be done under warranty.
I'm based in Portugal btw, so my experience not so relevant to UK owners.
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

I'm still really curious as to what the cause is though. I'm guessing there's some kind of film or template with the transparent logo which the light is projected through, but hard to understand how that could get deformed. On my car it happened on both sides quite suddenly, although one side is much worse than the other.
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.
JBorn

Post by JBorn »

That's interesting, it was exactly the same in mine, happened both at the same time suddenly, one a lot worse than the other (you can see photos earlier in the thread).

I wonder if it's going through a drive through car wash? It's the only thing I can think of that could maybe cause damage to the mirrors, which would happen to them both at the same time - and high potential for water ingress with a high powered pressure washer and brushes flailing around. It actually says somewhere in the manual to "please avoid automatic car washes wherever possible" - sounds like they are selling a toy car!

I tried getting an up close photo of the lenses, couldn't see any damage clearly... Tapping the mirrors when puddle lights are on doesn't seem to move the distortion at all, which isn't what I'd expect if it was water 🤔

I do wonder why they tried to fob me off the first time round, it seems pointless and unfair when they are being paid by Cupra for warranty work anyway, it also damages your chances of getting the issue reassessed under warranty, I reckon they just wanted my car out the door. They were more interested in selling tyres than fixing issues... Their warranty policy seems to be very inconsistent and depend whether the person who assesses it is an arsehole or not...
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Jakester wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:37 pm Their warranty policy seems to be very inconsistent and depend whether the person who assesses it is an arsehole or not...
This is it, in a nutshell. Aside from straightforward mechanical failure, many local VAG dealerships in my area are averse to undertaking warranty work. This is especially true in the North East for the Lookers group. Our local Cupra dealership is Pulman, and they're pretty good, my local Audi dealerships (for my S3) are all Lookers, I have to drive about 85 miles down to York to move into JCT600 territory.

Audi/VW/Cupra etc. UK take the dealership warranty assessor's word as gospel and won't look further into the matter unless you get another dealership to disagree with their prognosis. When you call Cupra (or the others), you speak to a call centre operator with no technical knowledge, and they will not put you in touch with anyone that does have that knowledge to discuss further.

I don't know for sure whether they fear not getting reimbursed for work done, or whether they have too much retail rate work on (£130ph typically) to consider doing warranty work for which they'll be paid about £50ph.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
JBorn

Post by JBorn »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:22 am
Jakester wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:37 pm Their warranty policy seems to be very inconsistent and depend whether the person who assesses it is an arsehole or not...
This is it, in a nutshell. Aside from straightforward mechanical failure, many local VAG dealerships in my area are averse to undertaking warranty work. This is especially true in the North East for the Lookers group. Our local Cupra dealership is Pulman, and they're pretty good, my local Audi dealerships (for my S3) are all Lookers, I have to drive about 85 miles down to York to move into JCT600 territory.

Audi/VW/Cupra etc. UK take the dealership warranty assessor's word as gospel and won't look further into the matter unless you get another dealership to disagree with their prognosis. When you call Cupra (or the others), you speak to a call centre operator with no technical knowledge, and they will not put you in touch with anyone that does have that knowledge to discuss further.

I don't know for sure whether they fear not getting reimbursed for work done, or whether they have too much retail rate work on (£130ph typically) to consider doing warranty work for which they'll be paid about £50ph.
Similar situation to me, Lookers is 0.4miles from work so very handy but I'm not ever going to risk using them again after they blatantly lied to Cupra corporate, like you said Cupra UK takes their word as gospel truth

I was connected to a loverly patronising bloke who didn't seem particularly local to the UK and who assumed that my eyeballs are out of order and wouldn't be capable of seeing "damage" to the mirrors

I would far rather drive 40 miles away to Perrys Cupra Bolton, which is what I have done today

We will see if they are any better

I thought it would be something like that, otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.

Rubbish system really, they should be heavily penalised if another dealership calls bullshit on them, maybe this would stamp this out
JBorn

Post by JBorn »

And... without much fuss (except the fact that the indicator now has a gap between the housing and the mirror casing wasn't pushed back together properly) the puddle lights have now been replaced, under warranty!

20240117_175213.jpg

20240117_175223.jpg

antoniomapinho

Post by antoniomapinho »

Jakester wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:37 pm I wonder if it's going through a drive through car wash? It's the only thing I can think of that could maybe cause damage to the mirrors, which would happen to them both at the same time - and high potential for water ingress with a high powered pressure washer and brushes flailing around. It actually says somewhere in the manual to "please avoid automatic car washes wherever possible" - sounds like they are selling a toy car!
As I stated before, both of mine have had the issue and have been replaced and I've always hand washed my Born, and quite carefully, may I add, no pressure water pump.
JBorn

Post by JBorn »

antoniomapinho wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:14 am
Jakester wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:37 pm I wonder if it's going through a drive through car wash? It's the only thing I can think of that could maybe cause damage to the mirrors, which would happen to them both at the same time - and high potential for water ingress with a high powered pressure washer and brushes flailing around. It actually says somewhere in the manual to "please avoid automatic car washes wherever possible" - sounds like they are selling a toy car!
As I stated before, both of mine have had the issue and have been replaced and I've always hand washed my Born, and quite carefully, may I add, no pressure water pump.
Hmm. Interesting. It is strange how most people seem to report them both going at once... although the way they put my mirrors back together, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Just seen that both of our puddle lights are showing tge same issue. A week ago they were fine. Drivers side worse than the passenger side. Will need to get them done under warranty, 2 year service is about 4 months away,I'm sure we can wait until then and send pics a week before the service so the dealership can get the parts in to do at the same time.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565