Battery heating never starts

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

Hi,

I’m fairly sure it’s not just mine and the ID3 on later software is the same, but other others finding the battery heat never comes on?

I’ve been driving around a bit all day today and the battery heater never came on even though I did 88 miles. Had about 20% power missing all day long. When I had my ID3 it would have 100% power after about 20 mins because the battery heater would kick in.

I’m starting to wonder if mine has a fault because what’s the point of them fitting a battery heater if it never ever come on…

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

No. I have observed the same coming from an ID3.
The blue and green bars never reach full capacity when it's very cold. Mine seems to be around the 8C or 9C mark before the two bars show full capacity.
It's been mentioned in threads by others here and I guess on the ID3 forum as well.
Before the Born there was talk that level 3.0 SW would not provide battery heating at all or maybe at a much lower temperature than it was in 2.3, from memory 13C and that would lead to an extension in range in cold conditions. The threads suggest if you drive in Performance mode and drive a bit harder the batteries warm up. Also driving at a steady 60 or70 mph is not enough to warm them up. All that said, I don't find any affect of the reduced capacity in normal driving and still get a good return/kW and suspect there is none or very little battery heating going on.
When it's really cold my regen bar is little over 50%.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
TheBornIDentity

Thanks, seems the same as mine then. So long as it’s not a fault I’m happy with it.
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

The Born is noticeably less happy with these cold periods than our Mini EV, the estimated range on that doesn’t change much. We use cabin pre-heat on both cars and I can see why the mini’s heat pump is an advantage with that, but with general running in these temperatures it’s consumption is 3.7 the Born is more like 2.7.
TheBornIDentity

A little follow up on this:

Today I went to Bristol (about 30 miles away) and unusually for me used the cars sat nav (instead of google maps). The blue bar didn’t go full but nearly did. The green regen bar went full about halfway there and was full on the way home too.

My suspicion is that the battery heater will start if it thinks it’s worth it based on you using the sat nav. Although I did more miles last weekend I never used the cars sat nav.

Could be a coincidence but I’ll definitely try this again.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

TheBornIDentity wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:26 pm A little follow up on this:

Today I went to Bristol (about 30 miles away) and unusually for me used the cars sat nav (instead of google maps). The blue bar didn’t go full but nearly did. The green regen bar went full about halfway there and was full on the way home too.

My suspicion is that the battery heater will start if it thinks it’s worth it based on you using the sat nav. Although I did more miles last weekend I never used the cars sat nav.

Could be a coincidence but I’ll definitely try this again.
The technology is there for it to be able to do that so why not! It makes sense
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
girarcat

Post by girarcat »

Sorry for the dumb question. How can I know if battery heating is active or not? Is this related to the heat pump?
TheBornIDentity

You can’t really tell unless you observe the car to be using an enormous amount of energy for no apparent reason (I saw my ID3 using over 7kW while stationary. I’ve never seen the Born do this though.

The only other way you can assume it might have been active is if the green regen bar or blue power bars are quite a long way from being full but go full or nearly full in a shortish time frame (less than 30 mins or so). Of the battery isn’t warm enough you won’t get full regen.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

TheBornIDentity wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:22 pm You can’t really tell unless you observe the car to be using an enormous amount of energy for no apparent reason (I saw my ID3 using over 7kW while stationary. I’ve never seen the Born do this though.

The only other way you can assume it might have been active is if the green regen bar or blue power bars are quite a long way from being full but go full or nearly full in a shortish time frame (less than 30 mins or so). Of the battery isn’t warm enough you won’t get full regen.
I agree. For those of us who previously had ID3s this is noticeable. In very cold weather the blue and green bars on the ID3 reached full extent fairly quickly, like you say, 30 mins or less. I can drive for an hour or more in the Born and the bars are still short.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
girarcat

Post by girarcat »

TheBornIDentity wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:22 pm You can’t really tell unless you observe the car to be using an enormous amount of energy for no apparent reason (I saw my ID3 using over 7kW while stationary. I’ve never seen the Born do this though.

You mean that when applying full throttle the blue power bar won't become full or do you notice the bar is shorter even without flooring it (i.e while stationary)?