Scraping Noise when coming out of Full lock

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
KevinM2k

Post by KevinM2k »

Hi,

I have just taken car in to garage as I was occasionally getting like a crunching noise when going from full lock (turning left) back to straight again.

I took a cupra engineer out and reproduced.

He investigated and couldn't find any problems, took out 2 other cupra borns and said they had the same thing.

They have now called it a 'characteristic' or 'feature' of the car...

This does not sound right to me, does anyone else get this occasionally?

Thanks
Kevin

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

KevinM2k wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:05 pm Hi,

I have just taken car in to garage as I was occasionally getting like a crunching noise when going from full lock (turning left) back to straight again.

I took a cupra engineer out and reproduced.

He investigated and couldn't find any problems, took out 2 other cupra borns and said they had the same thing.

They have now called it a 'characteristic' or 'feature' of the car...

This does not sound right to me, does anyone else get this occasionally?

Thanks
Kevin
Yes. Mine doesn't do it all the time and I'm not sure I could reproduce it. It can happen left or right. Seems more likely if I move the steering wheel quickly. I describe it as a kind rumble that I feel in the wheel. I'm a great one for seeing things in my head. On this one I see a toothed belt jumping the shallow teeth of a pulley on the steering rack.
If it continues I will take it in.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Cliffjp

Post by Cliffjp »

My car makes a funny noise in the circumstances you describe. It is a vibration I can feel through the wheel and I can hear a sound at the same time. I wonder if it could be linked to the fact that the car can steer itself? If it is a fault exhibited by all or many cars, I can imagine it being fixed by a software update ( my guess is it’s a software problem)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Is it not the splines of the rubber bellows on the front axle rubbing and popping over each other?
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:35 pm Is it not the splines of the rubber bellows on the front axle rubbing and popping over each other?
It could be but it's a reasonably high kind of frequency and a feel through the wheel. Have you noticed anything on either of your Borns?
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Deleted User 456

Post by Deleted User 456 »

Item 243 on the against list :D
alex1337

Post by alex1337 »

I have it I think. I feel it as a vibration through the wheel and a noise. Was worried my steering had a problem but been too lazy to take it to the dealer. Maybe its normal?
Born V2 Vapour Grey
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:51 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:35 pm Is it not the splines of the rubber bellows on the front axle rubbing and popping over each other?
It could be but it's a reasonably high kind of frequency and a feel through the wheel. Have you noticed anything on either of your Borns?
Nope, but I had 2 Golfs that used to clunk when your reached full RHS lock.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

alex1337 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:09 pm I have it I think. I feel it as a vibration through the wheel and a noise. Was worried my steering had a problem but been too lazy to take it to the dealer. Maybe its normal?
It may become normal if VAG decide its not dangerous. I can't imagine a design where the steering mechanism can cause a vibration felt in the wheel that isn't going to raise questions among owners.
I am more concerned about it now than I was.
Anyone picked up anything from Facebook ID3 or ID3 forums?
Can't imagine it's limited to the Born.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
dav0001

Post by dav0001 »

Hi have noticed this as well with my Born V2 E Boost along with loads of other issues