High voltage battery protection

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Betty b
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat May 21, 2022 12:46 am

Post by Betty b » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:09 pm

Does anyone know what this option is for ?
Can’t find any information to what it does.

2A58F1E3-6EDA-4AA4-91AC-01BF0D899FBA.png

00257EA3-B764-4574-ACA9-49613697AEE4.png

Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Vapour Grey

User avatar
Daveion
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:32 pm

Post by Daveion » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:19 pm

Betty W wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:09 pm
Does anyone know what this option is for ?
Can’t find any information to what it does.
2A58F1E3-6EDA-4AA4-91AC-01BF0D899FBA.png
00257EA3-B764-4574-ACA9-49613697AEE4.png
From the description below I took it to mean that functions from the 12volt system are minimised so that this would in turn require reduced charging of the low voltage battery. That in turn gives a level of protection to the HV batteries.
If that is correct it could be worded better.

Screenshot_20220707-131423_My CUPRA.jpg

ID3 LIFE 150kW 2020 sold Jun 22
New ID3 due Nov 2022 or ever!!
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22

Elea4
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:19 pm

Post by Elea4 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:24 pm

The 12V battery is occasionally charged by the main (aka "High Voltage") battery. This option clearly disables a few otherwise "always on" features in order to reduce the load on the main battery.

I've even read of some cases where the Born/ID.3 needs a jumpstart because the 12V battery was drained too quickly.

In fact, earlier versions of the Born and ID.3 have a different 12V battery and battery management control / BMS unit that need to be replaced in the workshop (along with the 3.0 s/w update) in order to support OTA updates since they take so long that the 12V battery was otherwise dying before it finished.

monkeyhanger
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue May 31, 2022 8:12 pm

Post by monkeyhanger » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:59 pm

Elea4 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:24 pm
The 12V battery is occasionally charged by the main (aka "High Voltage") battery. This option clearly disables a few otherwise "always on" features in order to reduce the load on the main battery.

I've even read of some cases where the Born/ID.3 needs a jumpstart because the 12V battery was drained too quickly.

In fact, earlier versions of the Born and ID.3 have a different 12V battery and battery management control / BMS unit that need to be replaced in the workshop (along with the 3.0 s/w update) in order to support OTA updates since they take so long that the 12V battery was otherwise dying before it finished.
The ID3s that were built with OS less than 2.4 need a battery replacement before upgrade 2.4 and 3.0 updates are attempted. I don't think it is a Born issue though, as the Born.hasn't been around long enough to be built with an old OS like the ID3s were.
2022 V2 E-Boost, L-Tech Pack - Glacial White
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

Betty b
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat May 21, 2022 12:46 am

Post by Betty b » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:20 pm

Thanks guys I’m still confused.com 🤣
So do you suggest it’s set to on or off ?
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Vapour Grey

User avatar
Daveion
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:32 pm

Post by Daveion » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:44 pm

I leave mine off. I can't see a need to go to extremes to protect the HV battery
ID3 LIFE 150kW 2020 sold Jun 22
New ID3 due Nov 2022 or ever!!
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22

Elea4
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:19 pm

Post by Elea4 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:12 pm

monkeyhanger wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:59 pm
The ID3s that were built with OS less than 2.4 need a battery replacement before upgrade 2.4 and 3.0 updates are attempted. I don't think it is a Born issue though, as the Born.hasn't been around long enough to be built with an old OS like the ID3s were.
There are indeed Borns shipped with the old 51Ah battery just like the ID.3's. On the other hand, all the Borns with s/w 3.0 seem to have shipped with the newer 49Ah battery and battery controller:

https://www.born-forum.de/forum/thread/ ... r-verbaut/

The general consensus is that although the 49Ah battery has a smaller capacity, either the chemistry of the battery controller allows it to last long enough for OTA updates.

TheBornIDentity
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:55 pm

Post by TheBornIDentity » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:15 pm

I’m getting phantom battery drain on my Born which I never had on my ID3. I’m thinking it’s either a fault, the hot weather or this rather confusingly labelled feature.

My guess is that the ‘Use HV battery’ is incorrectly labelled and by default the HV battery is used (as indicated by HV battery protection being deactivated) and the reason I’m noticing the battery go down when I’m not using it. I’m finding the infotainment much faster than the ID3 to wake up and reckon it’s probably not been shut down as much as it was on the ID3. It does say it might affect range.

Has anyone else noticed phantom battery drain?

User avatar
Daveion
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:32 pm

Post by Daveion » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:03 pm

Is it big percentages?
ID3 LIFE 150kW 2020 sold Jun 22
New ID3 due Nov 2022 or ever!!
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22

TheBornIDentity
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:55 pm

Post by TheBornIDentity » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:04 am

Daveion wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:03 pm
Is it big percentages?
No nothing drastic. Yesterday it used about 2 or 3 % over 10 hour’s parked at work.

Post Reply

  • You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post