Fast charging.

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Nacaduct

Post by Nacaduct »

Has anyone fast charged the Born yet?

Took a charging trip today, specifically to try to fast charge, but at 71% SOC, I didn’t get any super high speeds…

I will go back with a lower SOC and see what speeds I can achieve. Would be interesting to see if the Born manages the 120kW advertised…

CAC13559-1B14-48B7-8462-1090DBF9424C.jpeg

Cupra Born since ‘22

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I have charged both Borns on a rapid charger, and saw quite low speeds for the fact that I was at a Gridserve 120kWh charger, from about 15% back up to 90%, averaged about 40kWh. I took the potential cause to be battery pack temp. I had been driving a constant 75mph home from the dealerships in Twickenham and Woking all the way back to Newcastle, and while charging, the fans on the Borns were working hard while charging, and both collection days were scorching hot days (Weds 15th Jun, about 28C ambient; Weds 22nd Jun, about 30C ambient). I'm presuming that keeping the battery pack hat down while charging was the limiting factor. If not, then our 2 x Borns rapid charge way slower than the ID3s they replaced (where on the same Gridserve chargers, we were averaging 80kWh charging on cooler days).

I have to drive down to Milton Keynes on Monday to introduce myself to my new colleagues in my new job (working mainly remotely). I'll keep an eye on charging speeds on the way down where ambient temp is cooler (i'll be setting off at 0430am on Monday, likely stopping for a charge around 0730. I'll check again for the charge halfway home, when it will likely be a fair bit warmer.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Pederb

Post by Pederb »

The highest I got was 102kWh, normally it is around 60kWh

IMG_3612.jpeg

-2023 Cupra Born 77kW with Beats-
WelshCupraB

Post by WelshCupraB »

It can depend on pack temperature and ambient temperature. Also if you had been driving 75 then battery might have been hot. You didn't say how much charge you had when you plugged the car in? If the car was 10% or 20% then it would be quicker than at 50%. The car slows charging at 80% to 100%. Also the Cupra Born is not replacing the ID3 or did you mean you had an ID3.