My Cupra app

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
dickyp

Post by dickyp »

Don’t seem to have those issues with my Passat, generally the petrol level remains the same.

I’m making the jump into electric but these issues don’t make it sound easy. Equally it sounds like cars will become more throw away due to “no longer supported” etc just like phones.

Let’s hope things get more robust .
£50 each if you use this link to sign up to Octopus - https://share.octopus.energy/cliff-teal-535

WoT

Post by WoT »

I'm going back to setting everything in the car, and only use the app to see the % charge. That way, the app can't stuff up the routines or mis-apply control inputs (I hope). As for the mileage mismatch - in BoxedIn's note above - I think that counts as a "feature". The app is just generally wrong except when it's right.
58kwh v2 Dec 22
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

Yes, the app mileage mis-match is a bug they have known about for a long time, it’s one of the issues I contacted them about many times. This is the last message they sent me about it back in March. I could not get them to commit to it being fixed.

“If the vehicle is set in miles. The ICAS1 (which is the electronic control unit that calculates the range) sends an incorrect value (about 15% of the data sent by the vehicle to the app is incorrect) for the remaining range, especially when the vehicle is switched off. The correct remaining range is the one showed in the infotainment system. The behaviour can confuse the users because they are going to see less autonomy that what really have. It fixed for vehicle produced after 12/23.”
Timpjones

Post by Timpjones »

Good morning,

For the second day running my Born hasn’t charged.

The app wasn’t working for me (it loaded but showed no information) until around 9am. Last night it stopped again and is still not working - I have smart charging with Octopus and think when the app isn’t working the charging doesn’t work properly either. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
RKJM30

Post by RKJM30 »

Yes! I had the same issues last night (12 July 2023).

I have come to not trust the My Cupra App to ensure that the car charges with Intelligent Octopus, as was the case last night. I have started to check before going to sleep that the interface is working correctly.

In order for the Intelligent Octopus (IO) system to work correctly several parameters must be satisfied. I am not sure of the exact requirements, but the following appear to be the critical ones:
1. Cupra Born location tracker must be HOME
2. Cupra Born plug must be PLUGGED IN

The My Cupra app backend (at Cupra's end) must also be working and the car must be online.

If any of the above are not in the correct setting, Intelligent Octopus either won't or can't send Start Charge commands to the car.

This morning I checked these settings and found that the car appeared in the app to be 80 miles away from its actual location and had not updated its location since arriving at the home location 12 hours earlier. Therefore Intelligent Octopus did not see it as being home, so did nothing.

To try to fix this, I removed the car from the app and relinked it (scan code in car etc. just like it was the first time). This corrected its location in the app and Intelligent Octopus started responding correctly. All a bit late if I needed the car to get to work.

My contingency plan now is to check the My Cupra app before I go to sleep, if I suspect the My Cupra app is in buggery uppery mode I will set the charger to "scheduled Charge" with the time window set to IO's cheap window (2330-0530) and accept the car will charge for the full 6 hours (or up to 100%). This also requires that I manually send a "Start Charge" command to the car to override the previous stop charge command either set by myself or IO (if the app is not working this requires a start charge press on the infotainment system in the car).

Overall, let's hope these "outages" are an indication that the developers are trying to correct the flaws in the My Cupra app. I have complained to customer care about the failure of the My Cupra system adversely affecting Demand Side Response (DSR) grid balancing (Intelligent Octopus is an example of demand side response). DSR is the future. It must be made reliable by EV system suppliers.
Born V3-Tech L Heatpump
Hypervolt 2.0
Intelligent Octopus
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

I guess that when the test charge is done as part of the sign up process for the IO tariff the specific EV is identified for smart charging, which is fine if the car’s app/backend is reliable.

Your workaround is great RKJM30, I use scheduled charging from our 2nd EV (can only have 1 car on IO at the moment) so I know that works. But with your Cupra, even though it’s signed up with IO for smart charging, Im wondering if it would be possible to disable the Born’s “comms” with IO by removing all location/schedule settings from the car so that it charges whenever it’s offered power and use your charger’s scheduling for 11:30-05:30 so that you can rely on it?
A4d

Post by A4d »

Collected my new Born yesterday, all good except the app. The dealer couldn’t get my phone app to connect to the car and I have tried to no avail. I have reset the infotainment system, reinstalled the app multiple times but no luck. I contacted Cupra and have sent them screenshots etc as requested, so need to wait and see. The down side to this is I have no primary user in the car and am set up as guest.
In my phone I would to like to try and remove my car and try again from scratch. It says resetting the infotainment system removes the car from the app but every time I log in on my phone the car is still there on the first screen asking me to link the vehicle but I cannot.so I don’t think the car is in the garage. How do I wipe the car/vin number from the first page? Any ideas anyone?
WoT

Post by WoT »

It might be just the latency on the server updates (ie wait a day or 2). I assume you've linked the phone itself to the infotainment system (paired it in Bluetooth in the car) so you know that's all working ok?
On the VIN: when I go to GARAGE in the app (at the top left of the first screen, the car with a roof on it) , and then "choose a vehicle" and hit the little pen, I get to see the VIN. And a button to delete the vehicle. BUT - I have doubts whether this is going to move things forward. Generally there's some link or dependency that you need to guess, that's how it usually works for me. If your VIN is right, the problem is elsewhere I think, but heaven knows where.
58kwh v2 Dec 22
Chrisev

Post by Chrisev »

I'm a new owner and also unable to link my Born to the app.
My new V2 was delivered on 7th March and upon attempting to submit the VIN it says "oops".

I've been through the troubleshooting and Cupra support say its definitely an app/backend issue at Cupra but aren't giving any clues as to what it is or when it'll be fixed. Very frustrating. Its a good job I love the car (even with its flaws).

I'd be interested to hear from other new owners to know if this is widespread or not.
Chrisev

Post by Chrisev »

The Play store has 2 or 3 recent reviews from people unable to register their car to the app. Looks like its a new issue in March. Still no tangible update from Cupra support.